Monday, January 21, 2008

the last one week in france...

Almost everyone who did their SEP in Grenoble last semester has left for Singapore on Friday. Somehow it felt really weird to be among the remaining few here. Since then, I had lost motivation to study. Everyday, I spent at least 2 hours watching a French movie on my laptop. The rest of the time I would be doing ‘miscellaneous random’ stuff. My head has been clouded with many issues and my heart has been filled with mixed sentiments. My poor head had to deal with the upcoming exams and also some problems with the module mapping of Design2 in NUS. A certain prof did not seem to want to approve my module although he had already done so in the past. At the same time, I had been thinking about how sad I will possibly be when I quit this place (that’s why I have been taking a short walk around the campus since the weather has been really perfect this weekend) …and also reflecting on what I have achieved here in the past 5 months…what went right and what went wrong…etc etc etc. Just many random thoughts and emotions that really hampered my study.

Anyway, on Saturday, I decided to invite Carlos for dinner since I thought I would not have chance to meet up with him during exams anymore. Later on, after some discussion, we decided that I would be the one going to his place for dinner since there were 2 more friends living in the same residence as him.

That evening I learnt something new about my friend. If you read on very carefully, you will definitely know what I mean. In the end, there were 5 of us on the dinner table: Simon, Jeremy, me, Carlos and Arnold. Arnold prepared salad for entrée, Carlos prepared a Brazilian dessert, Jeremy brought some ice cream, Simon brought his Germany “lemonade beer” while I cooked pasta in Provençale sauce. The dinner started pretty late at about 9pm and it dragged on till about 11 plus. The conversation was light, albeit peppered with some awkward silences, especially on my part due to some obvious love-birds on the table.

right to left: Simon, me, Carlos and his other half.

Even after we exchanged “Au Revoir”, I was still in a little state of shock by the discovery. I have always seen “others” and heard about this issue, but I have never had a friend who is directly involved. And honestly speaking, I have never shown any tolerance for these people. Yesterday’s dinner was a real eye-opener for me and I guess I really have to learn to show more respect to them. I suppose it’s not exactly their fault to have a different preference. After all, friends are still friends and friendship has got very little to do with one’s lifestyle.

with Jeremy in the photo...

Du coup, merci Simon, Jeremy et Carlos pour de bons souvenirs! C’était un grand plaisir de vous connaître...

At the moment I just can’t wait to get back to hall... raring to play volleyball…

No comments: