Thursday, November 29, 2007

29 Nov 07 - Paris

My day started pretty early. I rose at 6:15 to ensure that I would be at the tram stop by 7 am although my TGV would only leave at 7:50 am. I am quite sure some of you can guess the reasons. If you are thinking along the line of a strike, then you have won the top prize. This time round, the tram company went on strike and I was not at all sure about the frequency of the tram; thus, the need to wake up earlier.

Anyway, TGV, being the fastest train in Europe, should bring the passengers to their destinations at top speed and at top precision. Today, the TGV was late by 20 mins (I could not have imagined if I had scheduled my VISA appointment earlier) and this was not the first time that the TGVs I took were late.

After putting my bag at Yanghan's apartment, I headed out to the UK Visa Application Centre called World Bridge Services, located very near the Champs Elysées (a shopping district selling all the branded goods, such as the Louis Vuitton bags). After taking a quick sandwich lunch and taking a couple of photos of the Arc du Triomphe, I immediately went to the centre. My appointment was scheduled at 13:45 and I reached at 13:15. I was duly turned down and asked to return at 13:45. I thought perhaps they were very strict and efficient with the schedule. But to my aghast, when I entered later on, they were at least 30 more people in the queue in front me. The security man was not polite either; basically he spoke like a robot, without expression and intonation. So I waited...and waited...and waited forever. After about 2 hours, it finally came to my turn to submit my application. After that I still had to wait for another half hour or so before my turn for the biometrics scan. They should really consider improving the efficiency. They only have 2 counters for the submission and 1 counter for the biometric scan. I am now crossing my fingers that my application would be approved.


L-R: Yanghan's apartment; Arc du Triomphe

When I exited the application centre, it was drizzling and I realised I forgot to bring my umbrella out. Merde! I have to wear my beanies again. Haha. My next stop was La Tour Eiffel. This structure has never failed to amaze me, especially after researching more about it for my French 4 oral presentation last semester. The Eiffel tower is really an engineering feat, with an artistic touch, and it's a real wonder because up till now, nobody has been able to come up with a confirmed mathematical model for its curved body. From what I read, Gustave Eiffel simply used his experience to estimate the effects of the force of the wind on the structure when he designed the curve.


L-R: La Tour Eiffel; my obsession with carousel


La Tour Eiffel at night (rather at 5:30 pm)

I reluctantly left the Eiffel site because I knew that I would not go back there for a long long time in the future. I then took the metro to Montmatre area. This area was really touristy with plenty of souvenir shops. At the funiculaire station, I was stopped by this African guy who called me "his friend". He was holding my arms in one hand and a long string on the other. He told me to talk to him and I told him to release my arm. He told me to relax and be happy. And then I just left. I had a feeling that guy was trying to hypnotize me to lure me into giving him some cash. Anyway, I went up to the top of the hill and visited the Basilique de Sacré Coeur. It was just a normal cathedral in my opinion. The highlight was supposed to be the panoramic view of Paris at night, but it was so foggy that I could almost see anything in the distance. Too bad.


Sacré Coeur

I descended on foot and walked towards the Moulin Rouge. And what an eye-opener it turned out to be. The street was lined with many sex/erotic shops, lap/table dance shops and erotic live shows. I have never been to Amsterdam so I have no idea how these compare to the Red Light district. Anyway, a few of the shops tried to lure me in... one particular woman even grabbed me by the arm and called me "my dear". She told me that she would let me go in at 5 euros instead of 20 euros at normal price. And for the 5 euros, I would get a free drink and a live show. I replied her that I was not interested and that I would rather use the 5 euros to fill my stomach. Then she insisted: "Please Monsieur, just come in and take a look. Free of charge. You see. If you like, you stay. If you don't like, you go." Not a bad deal, huh? Haha. But I didn't go in cos I would probably not find a way out if I ever entered.


L-R: the sex shop at Orchard Road will be ashamed

The Moulin Rouge was a unique sight; the windmill was pretty and the queue at the entrance was snaking. Amazing that so many people wanna watch the cabaret show even though the cheapest tickets start from 80-90 euros. After dinner, I returned to chez Yanghan at La Défense area.

No comments: